Wednesday, January 9, 2013

"They don't hear me, tho."


"Why I Don't Feel Sorry For Kid Cudi" - by Eskay (nahright.com)
Just to be clear, despite the title of this post, I’m not trying to single out CuDi. The fact of the matter is, I don’t feel sorry for any Rapper crying about label indifference in 2013. Nobody put a gun to any of these guy’s heads and forced them to sign with a major label.

They signed with a major label because conventional wisdom dictates that a major label deal is the path to prosperity in music. Conventional wisdom says that you need their marketing and distribution machine in order to reach the “next level”. And the way the system is designed, that may very well be true.


Except when it isn’t. Whenever I want to a make a case against the status quo in the industry, I point to Tech N9ne and the empire he has built out there in Kansas City. I know Tech’s story isn’t typical, but I have to believe that if he can do it, so can a guy like KiD CuDi, an artist with much broader commercial appeal and the G.O.O.D. Music creative juggernaut in his corner.

Of course, that path isn’t going to be for everyone. The grind you’re gonna have to endure to get yourself to the level of a Tech N9ne will no doubt be brutal, and there’s no guarantee that it will pay off in the end. And who knows, that model could very well be completely wrong for an artist like CuDi, the fact is, we really don’t know.

I’d just like to see Rappers think outside of the box already. We have this whole new school of artists that we refer to as “groundbreaking”, that came up on the internet and built these huge followings outside of the system, and as soon as a major comes knocking their independent spirit goes out the window. Why not pull a Louis CK or something? Do something truly groundbreaking.

Again, that path might not be for everyone, and maybe I just don’t know what the fuck I’m talking about, but I’ll say this: If and you opt to sign a slave deal with a major label, the one thing you can’t do is run to social media and start complaining when shit doesn’t go your way.

Kamaal been told us the industry is shady. We all grew up hearing the stories and the bitter bars about how our heroes got fucked over by their labels. Nobody can claim ignorance here. You made the decision to enter into a business relationship with these bloodsuckers, and as far as I’m concerned, you lose the right to complain the minute your signature hit that contract.

- - - - -  
I've been preaching this shit for years! Glad someone with a louder voice shed a lil light on this topic. Fuck signing to someone else's empire, create & run your own... or die like a man, trying. 
And with that said:

No comments:

Post a Comment