Monday, December 26, 2016

A quick write up about writing (Tubb Motivation 101)

I need to write more. I've known this for awhile. As a young boy, while most kids were playing football or sledding, I was at home, listening to KWLF and writing. Writing all types of shit… Short stories, imaginary movie scripts, poems, letters to girls, whatever. I just always loved writing. Over the last several years, however, the writing has slowed down, tremendously. Probably due to several factors: I got kids, which means free time is not nearly what it once was, which is fine cuz the way I look at it is, if I'd be willing to give up my freedom, protecting and/or providing for my children, losing some personal free time each day, is a decent trade off. The limited amount of free time away from my kids, is usually spent either trying to come up with music, which includes writing, but just in the form of song, dealing with life's daily situations (adulting), spending time with the homies and/or burning trees, unwinding. Sometimes (a lot of times), I unwind a little too hard, pass out and nothing gets written, haha. That's definitely a factor in the equation.

Yet, no amount of time, or events in life, has hindered the joy of writing for me. My friend Cody recently became the Editor for The Anchorage Press, a local Anchorage publication that I've always been a fan of, and asked me to write for the newly ran publication and I immediately became overwhelmed with joy. I hadn't felt that excited about a new project/endeavor in a while, but I also knew, I had to dust off the cobwebs and get these twitter fingers to do some real typing, and here I am… Rambling, like I usually do. Haha

As you can tell by looking at the dates of the last several posts, and even further back, my blog post rate has declined, immensely. The posts are usually plugging some music shit or show I got going on… That becomes monotonous. The personal rants, the drawn out blogs of whatever random thought was in my mind at the time, the stupid little narratives of my weird ass life, the comedic short stories… have pretty much stopped. I blame life, I blame social media (twitter really got me to stop posting blogs altogether, to be honest. We know I loooooooove twitter), but most importantly, I blame myself, for becoming lazy. Totally comfortable with saying that. That's a great thing about the 30's… you stop giving a fuck about facade, and start appreciating vulnerable honesty. However, I'm also comfortable with saying, lazy time is over. It's time I get motivated. It's time to do, what it is, I think I'm here to do (I'm not just a rapper, daddio) and all of that starts with writing. Talk to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment